CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, November 13, 2008

...no, she doesn't believe...

If anyone knows me, they know one thing about me: I have a heart for High School students. I get the greatest thrill in getting to know them and to share my heart; letting them know that it's okay to be weird or awkward and to not know what's going to be the next step in their lives. Which is such a gracious statement - a sigh of relief, if you will - to me...because Lord knows I still have no clue what's going on. At both Young Life and with my church youth group, we've come back to one topic recently: Forgiveness. Go figure, right? Christians talking about forgiveness...as if its a foreign subject. But we've been talking about deeper forgiveness like what the unforgivable sins are (or if any...and there is...only one, though) or what our thoughts are on suicide or what about the innermost secluded tribes in Africa who have no idea of civilization, let alone Jesus, and how forgiveness affects them. In all of this talk, I have confidence because I know what I believe and I stand behind it. And at the same time, I feel unresolved. I'm forgiven, but I don't forgive the one person I really should: myself.

It's a weird concept, and if you were to really think about it, I think you'd agree. To me, its so easy to tell someone else that their mistakes are okay or forgotten about, but for some reason, I hold tight to mine. Mistakes ranging from lying to my parents about where I was for a weekend in the Summer of 05 to my last night in Nashville walking to his door. That never should have happened. And I think, in his own weird way, he's letting me know that. In not forgiving myself, I also give up on myself. Don't get me wrong, I am completely okay with being single. I do, however, "crush" a lot...a...LOT. But, I find myself wondering who's gonna want to be my roommate in 10 years, because I probably still won't be married. I'm in no rush, but I would like for a guy...just one to look at me the way that my dad looks at my mom. I give up on myself in other ways, too. It's just that one seems to sting the most.

It is now November. And with that comes the saddest truth in my life: I have officially been in Texas for a year. 6 months longer than what I wanted, and still there's 6 months to go until I'm home. I'm making the most of it, working and saving, trying to learn whatever lesson I'm supposed to be learning. But in all of this, the one thing I'm learning is that I belong in Nashville. I belong in Nashville more than anyone I can think of...and when I close my eyes at night and pull the covers up, if I listen carefully, I can hear her calling me. I've tuned her out for far too long. I've been complacent with who, where, and what I am, and its time to finally take my stand and take my life back.

I've made some careless mistakes with my life - in the choices of friends, jobs, etc. Now is the time to forgive. Forgive myself. Allow myself to finally move on and reach my full potential.

I wake to the clouds surrounding me on every side.
My soul is swimming in the rain of my tears.
I find my heart in a thousand pieces on the ground,
But surely, the sunset will take my breath away
Surely, this heart will see a brighter day.

I look up ahead a mountain is all I see.
And walls - what are you doing in front of me?
Winds of passion are roaring deep "I must be free."
No matter how high or how steep there's no stopping me

Surely, the beauty is worth the pain.
Surely, the unseen is holding me.

The wind blows, my faith arose.
The sun falls and I long for you.
Surely, the sunset will take my breath away.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

GOOD THOUGHT. Forgiving ourselves. One thing I've decided about forgiveness is that it MUST be intentional. Occasionally we do stumble upon forgiveness (frequently if time and separation are factors) but when we are constantly encountering someone, forgiveness must be intentional. If we, then, LIVE with ourselves.. we must intentionally be forgiving ourselves.

Perhaps when we ask the Lord for forgiveness, we then ask for help forgiving ourselves with those things? Maybe we are easier on ourselves to begin with?

Just so you know, I associate you with Nashville. :)